Veterans Resource Center (VRC) / Veteran Services

Who We Are

College of Alameda welcomes veterans to our campus community. The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) provides assistance to veterans and their dependents in their pursuit of an education at College of Alameda while utilizing veterans and /or dependents benefits. We are a liaison of the Veterans Administration to verify enrollment for students claiming veterans / dependent benefits.

Our Services

At the VRC you can receive academic counseling, speak with a certifying official, utilize computer work stations and use our study space. You may also attend various workshops, receive Priority Registration, receive Certification of Benefits, and access various community college resources.


All new students to College of Alameda must apply, take a online Orientation, and take an Assessment test. [link to New Students/ Admissions new page]

To begin your VA Benefits, please take the following steps:

1. Apply for Veterans benefits 

2. Submit copies of DD-214 & Certificate of Eligibility Letter to certifying official

3. Meet with Veteran’s counselor, Jamar Mears to identify your classes and enroll.

To receive timely payments, each semester you are enrolled at the College of Alameda, you must submit your Schedule of Classes to VA Certifying Official La Shawn Brumfield in the VRC

Remember: To be certified for VA payment, all classes must be on your Student Education Plan. To revise your Education Plan, please meet with the Veterans counselor, Jamar Mears

A veteran student who is on academic probation for two consecutive semesters shall be subject to discontinuance of VA benefits if the student earned a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 (“C” grade). This directive is separate and apart from the college’s standards for academic dismissal.

If you have completed a minimum of one year’s active duty and were honorably discharged AND have completed 12 units from the Peralta District, you may receive six semester units toward the Associate Degree. Request for the VRC staff to submit a copy of your DD214 to the District Office of Admissions & Records.

Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I Bill®: Application form 1990 and a copy of form DD214 discharge paper (member 4 copy only) that indicates discharge from service and a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®: A copy of Certificate of Eligibility, and a copy the DD214 member 4 that indicates an discharge from service.

Chapter 35 for Dependents: Dependent children need to provide a copy of their birth certificate if completing an application in our office, or a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility with the full VA File Number as issued to the student from Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve: Reservists are required to bring in a “Notice of Basic Eligibility” (NOBE) that can be obtained from their reserve or National Guard unit or a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.

Chapter 1607 (REAP): Military Reservists will be informed by the Department of Veteran Affairs what their benefit package will be. Military Reservists will be eligible for this benefit as long as they continue to be in the Active Reserves.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at”

Veterans Resource Center (VRC) / Veteran Services

Spring Semester: 8am-4:30pm.

Fall Semester 8-4:30pm.

location: G-building 2nd Floor.