Financial Aid

Who We Are

Financial Aid In-Person Services Closed Due to COVID-19.College of Alameda Financial Aid department is temporarily closed for in-person service due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  We may resume full operation on Monday, January 4th.  Please follow the instructions below for assistance.

Questions about your financial aid status –Send questions about your financial aid status to with the following information: a) Full name, b) PCCD student ID number or day and month of birth, c) Phone number, mailing address, last year or term attended, or name a term of one COA course completed

To submit a document to Financial Aid – If you are submitting documents, please send a high-quality scanned document or photo.  To scan, you can download Microsoft Office Lens on Google Play or the Apple App Store —or simply take a photo with your phone.  Make sure you submit your documents in a safe and secure manner.

Option 1: Email to request your documented be submitted online via Dropbox. Dropbox link will be emailed to you within 1-2 business days

Option 2:Password protect your documents and email them to Send the password in a separate email to (Note: For password protection instructions click here)

Option 3: Call 510-748-2391 or email if Option 1 or Option 2 doesn’t work for you

Our Services

Our office provides information about the kinds of aid available, how to apply for aid, aid you are eligible for, how and when you will receive your aid, and the terms of your aid financial. We also help you understand how to eligible for aid and the limits on how long you may receive aid.


There are three types of Federal Financial Aid: grants, loans, and work-study. A grant is free money. Loans are borrowed from the government and MUST be repaid. Work-study is a job on campus.

The FSA ID is your official Federal Student Aid ID, which you will use to log in to your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) . You can do it electronically at  Once completed you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via e-mail or in the mail. Please review your SAR and bring it to the Financial Aid Office in Building A-101 to check if there are any corrections to make.

Students need to send their official transcripts (from ALL non-district schools that they have attended) to the COA Financial Aid Office. In addition, about a third of the applicants will be chosen for verification and will need to submit the required documents prior to their file being processed.

Verification is proving that the income you reported on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is correct. Usually, verification is completed by submitting a photo copy of your and/or your parent’s federal tax return. In addition, you will be asked to submit a Verification Worksheet to confirm your Dependent or Independent status.

No. You will be eligible for most Federal Financial Aid if you attend school half-time. However, with the Pell and SEOG Grants, your awards will be larger if you attend full-time.

Generally, grant recipients receive two checks a semester. One check comes at the beginning of the term and one check comes at the middle of the term. Loan recipients usually get two checks a year: one in Fall and one in Spring. College Work-Study students get one paycheck a month.

It depends upon your family’s situation. The maximum Pell Grant would be $5,815 per year. The maximum Subsidized Stafford Loan for a first year dependent student is $3,500. Work-study allocations usually begin at $3,800 per year.

Not necessarily. Applicants for Federal Financial Aid (below the age of 24) are considered to be dependents, unless they are married, a veteran, an orphan, a ward of the court, or have dependents (usually children).

Because many people are applying for financial aid. But here’s a rough breakdown of the steps and the approximate timeframe for each: For you to receive your SAR after you have submitted your application online (Free Application for Federal Student Aid): 2 to 4 weeks; For COA to process your file: 4 to 6 weeks.

Call 1-800- 4-FED-AID / (800) 433-3243 (Note: If you provided an e-mail address, the SAR will be sent to you electronically.)

It might be difficult–especially in the first year. However, regardless of your income in the previous year, you will probably qualify for student loans.

Yes. Payments for student loans begin once a student leaves school for six months
(or falls below half-time enrollment for six months).

Yes & No. Students may submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student
Aid) application as early as January for the academic year that begins in the following Fall. Students that apply by March 2 will receive priority consideration for several types of Federal Financial Aid. Students that don’t meet the priority  deadline can still apply throughout the school year. (However, some Federal Financial Aid may no longer be available for those that apply late.) There is also a second deadline of Sept. 2 for Cal Grant consideration.

Yes. For each semester that you receive aid you will need to complete a certain number of units with a minimum GPA of at least 2.0. In addition, you need to maintain an overall completion rate of at least 67% and an overall GPA of at least 2.0. This is called maintaining “Satisfactory Academic Progress.”

Provided that you maintain satisfactory academic progress, you can receive Federal Financial Aid until you exceed 150% of the published length of an eligible program. (In other words, students in 60 unit A.A./A.S. programs or planning to transfer to 4-year schools will need to complete their studies by the time they earn 90 units.) Students who exceed the maximum time-frame may petition for an extension of funding through an “appeal process.”

Yes. Please make sure to visit your college Financial Aid Office 7 – 10 days after you have done so.

No. You need to complete a separate COA Application for Admission.

Financial Aid

Due to COVID-19, our campus will be closed until January 4, 2021. Financial Aid Department Staff will be working remotely. Please feel free to email us.

Monday            8:00-4:30PM

Tuesday            8:00-4:30PM

Wednesday      8:00-4:30PM

Thursday          8:00-4:30PM

Friday              8:00-4:30PM

Saturday          CLOSED

Sunday             CLOSED

Note: Hours are subject to change.

College of Alameda Dental Assisting Program

• College of Alameda offers a Dental Assisting Program that may require students to take the California License Exam.

• College of Alameda examination passage rates

Dental Board of CA