How to Apply for DSPS Services at College of Alameda

Information for New, Continuing and Returning Students:

Accommodations are CAMPUS SPECIFIC.  You must apply for services and request accommodations at each college campus where you require accommodations.

If you are new to DSPS at the College of Alameda, you begin by completing and submitting the application documents listed below, and once those are submitted you will meet with a DSPS Counselor.

Prior to Your First Appointment

  1. Apply to the College of Alameda if you are not already a student at COA or another Peralta College (Laney, Berkeley City, Merritt).  Have your Student ID # available when filling out forms and scheduling appointments.
  2. Review your DSPS Student Rights and Responsibilities and the DSPS Student Handbook
  3. Download, complete and submit the COA Application for DSPS Services
  4. Submit documentation of your disability.   Note: This may be a medical report, IEP/Triennial Evaluation, Department of Rehabilitation Plan, Neuropsychological Exam, Learning Disabilities Assessment, or other documentation of your disability, or you may have your medical provider complete this Disability Verification by Medical Provider  If you think you have a disability but do not currently have documentation, please discuss that with the counselor.

You may choose to email or fax your documents, or, upon request, DSPS can provide you with a private link for uploading them.

On the Day of Your Appointment:

  • For Online/Zoom appointments please log on using the link provided in your appointment confirmation email at the scheduled time.
  • For in-person/On Campus appointments (when they resume) please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to ensure that all paperwork is complete.
  • If you must cancel, please email or call as soon as possible. If you do cancel, be aware that it may take a while before another appointment is available.

Continuing students who have already submitted disability documentation to College of Alameda’s DSPS should meet with a DSPS counselor each semester to review progress, enroll in classes, evaluate effectiveness of accommodations, and arrange for accommodations for the following semester.

Accommodations do not automatically roll over each semester. You will need to request accommodations in advance of each semester through your DSPS counselor.

You may enroll on-line, but we recommend that you meet with a DSPS counselor to choose appropriate classes. In addition, if you are enrolling in DSPS classes, you will need to register through DSPS.

Continuing students should schedule an appointment with their assigned counselor (the counselor you have worked with) using the DSPS Online Appointment Scheduling System.

If you have been away for more than 5 years, your file may have been discarded.

You must complete a new COA Application for DSPS Services and you may need to resubmit documentation of disability. (See NEW STUDENTS above).

Please contact us at to determine if your file with documentation is still available.

Summary of Procedures to Request Academic Accommodations

(DSPS staff are available to assist with the process.)

  1. Student makes contact with DSPS and asks for accommodations.

  2. Student provides DSPS with documentation of disability or is referred to the Learning Disability Specialist for testing. The documentation must be from an agency or licensed or certified professional who is qualified to evaluate the student’s disability and the effect it has on the learning process.

  3. If the student is eligible for services, the DSPS counselor, through an interactive consultation with the student, identifies educational limitations, determines academic accommodations, and completes the Academic Accommodation Plan.

  4. With the student’s consent, DSPS sends the instructor the Academic Accommodations Notification. If testing accommodations are authorized, the student will bring the Exam Proctoring Request form to the instructor to be signed.

  5. DSPS assists instructor in providing accommodations.

  6. Students must request accommodations in advance of each semester, and at each college campus they attend and require accomodations. Accommodations do not automatically roll over each semester.

Please note:  Before you discuss accommodations with faculty, you should have already submitted documentation to DSPS. Instructional faculty are not expected to evaluate disability documentation. By law they are not required, nor advised, to provide accommodations unless the student has submitted the necessary documentation to the college. If you have not given documentation to DSPS, the instructor should refer you back to DSPS to talk with a counselor.

* Very occasionally a student chooses to submit documentation through the 504/ADA Coordinator; at the College of Alameda that person is the Vice President of Student Services. However, DSPS will still need to evaluate disability documentation and discuss the request for accommodations with the student.