CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids)

Who We Are

CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) at College of Alameda is a program that supports student parents with a CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work plan from Alameda County (and other nearby counties’) Social Services. We are committed to help student-parents receive education and training that provides self-sufficiency, employment, and success.

Our Services


To receive CalWORKs, the student must be a parent of eligible minor(s) AND apply for it at Social Services (in person at any social service facility in their county of residence or online at  Applicants must also meet an income requirement.  For more information from Alameda County Social Services, go to  Once they are approved, they become CalWORKs recipients.

Depending on a recipient’s eligibility (determined by Social Services), CalWORKs assistance may include: funds for books/supplies for college or employment training programs, child care placement and funds, transportation funds, job search support, mental health services, and more.

CalWORKs assistance is limited to 24 months (with a maximum of 48 months) for eligible parents.

Yes! CalWORKs is California’s interpretation of TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), which is a federal program.

Care is a separate program within EOPS for CalWORKs recipients who also meet EOPS eligibility requirements, are a single-parent head of household, and have at least one child fourteen (14) year of age or younger.  For more information, please visit College of Alameda’s EOPS/Care

Within CalWORKs, eligible recipients are given a WTW Plan which documents
what activities they’ll participate in to meet CalWORKs requirements.  This typically includes college training programs, volunteering, job search or employment through work study, and others (depending on the recipient).  Typically the activities are determined by the recipient and their employment counselor at Social Services.  A Welfare-To-Work plan is REQUIRED to receive support from College of Alameda CalWORKs.