In accordance with its mission, College of Alameda is committed to lowering the cost of education for its students by encouraging and supporting instructors in adopting Open Educational Resources (OER) and Zero-Textbook-Cost (ZTC) materials for their courses.
In 2018, College of Alameda is implementing Zero-Textbook-Cost Degree (ZTCD) pathway for Mathematics AS-T degree, with a plan to make the full pathway available for enrollment starting in Spring 2019. You can find more information about ZTCD program on California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office website.
Graphic below shows the proposed CoA Math AS-T ZTCD Pathway.
Following courses have been taught at College of Alameda with only OER/ZTC course materials. College of Alameda will be making course content available on Vision Resource Center in near future. In the meantime, please contact the ZTCD project co-directors (for general-education courses, contact Cady Bow (email@example.com); for math and science courses, contact Andrew Park) or the instructors listed below for details.
- Anthropology 1: Introduction to Physical Anthropology (Jayne Smithson)
- Anthropology 1L: Physical Anthropology Laboratory (Jayne Smithson)
- Anthropology 3: Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology (Jayne Smithson)
- Art 122: World Art (Maria Guzman)
- English 1A: Composition and Reading (Patricia Nelson)
- English 1B: Composition and Reading (Patricia Nelson)
- English 5: Critical Thinking in Reading and Writing (Patricia Nelson)
- English 30A: Introduction to American Literature I (Patricia Nelson)
- Math 3A: Calculus I (Deidre Baker and Khalilah Beal)
- Math 3B: Calculus II (Khalilah Beal)
- Math 3C: Calculus III (Khalilah Beal)
- Math 3E: Linear Algebra (Sue Broxholm)
- Math 3F: Differential Equations (Khalilah Beal)
- Math 13: Introduction to Statistics (Chad-Eric Montgomery, among others)
- Geography 1: Physical Geography (Cady Bow)
- Geography 1L: Physical Geography Laboratory (Cady Bow)
- Geography 2: Cultural Geography (Cady Bow)
- Physics 4A: General Physics with Calculus (Benjamin Stahl)
- Physics 4B: General Physics with Calculus (Andrew Park)
- Physics 4C: General Physics with Calculus (Andrew Park)
- Physics 10: Introduction to Physics (Andrew Park)
Following courses (from the graphic above) are planned to be taught using only OER/ZTC course materials in near future (Fall 2019 or soon). Instructors who usually teach these courses have expressed interest in lowering textbook cost for their students (all the way to zero), but please note that our plans may change and instructors’ interest and/or availability may change also. We remain committed to providing a full Math AS-T ZTCD pathway.