The College of Alameda Professional Development Committee is participatory constituent committee at College of Alameda. The committee supports faculty, staff, administrators, and student leaders in activities enhance and support the College of Alameda Mission of serving the educational needs of its diverse community by providing comprehensive and flexible programs and resources that empower students to achieve their goals.
Plan, promote, and implement major staff development activities and events for college-wide
participation. Responsible for the final review of applications for funds for staff development activities to ensure compliance with state guidelines and college goals.
This committee meets on the 1st Monday of every month from 12 pm – 1 pm in A 228 or virtually in Professional Development Committee Zoom Room
• Faculty Representatives (3) one of whom serves as Chair
• Administrative Representatives (3)
- Classified Representatives (2)
- Work all constituents to create and foster diverse professional development activities
- Establish priorities and procedures and approve funding requests for Professional Development activities.
- Oversee the sabbatical leave process (see Article 26, Paragraph R and the Sabbatical Leave Handbook for description of guidelines, procedures, applicants, etc.); and review, score and rank all applicants. The committee shall make its recommendations to the College President and the Chancellor.
- Plan and Evaluate the Flex Day activities
Academic Year 2020 -2021
Meetings: The first Monday of every month
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 pm
Place: Professional Development Committee Zoom Room
All are welcome to attend. The Professional Development Committee can be reached by email by contacting your 2019-2020 chairs, Diana Bajrami (email@example.com) and Maurice Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include Marivic Lizardo (email@example.com) in your correspondence with chairs.
Meeting dates for 2020 -2021
Flex Days Calendar for 2020-2021
Membership Fall 2020- Spring 2021
Faculty: Dr. Diana Bajrami , Maurice Jones, Ann Chun
Classified Professionals: Marivic Lizardo, Kawanna Rollins, Michael Duensing
Administrators: Ana McClanahan, Vacant, Vacant
co-chairs; Dr. Diana Bajrami and Maurice Jones
|Meeting Date & AGENDA||Minutes|
|3-2-2021 Agenda||March1, 2021 Minutes|
|Agenda 12.07.2020||December 7, 2021 Minutes|
|Special MeetingAgenda 12.14.2020||Dec.14 Special Committee Meeting Minutes|
|Agenda 08.31.2020||August 31 2020 Minutes|
|November 5, 2018||Minutes|
|September 10, 2018||Minutes|
|February 5, 2018||Minutes|
|December 4, 2017||Minutes|
|November 6, 2017||Minutes|
|October 3, 2017||Minutes|
|September 5, 2017||Minutes|
|August 14, 2017||Minutes|
January 22, 2021 Flex Day is fast approaching.
Please, see the agenda by clicking on FLEX DAY AGENDA _ January 22, 2021
The Process for Application for Professional Development Funds Fall 2020 & Submission of Professional Development Activities for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
The Professional Development Committee at CoA met in a special meeting (August 31, 2020) to re establish new guidelines for the submission of professional development funding requests for Fall 2020 semester and ensure that faculty have an opportunity to participate in virtual professional development training during Fall 2020 semester.
These funds could be used for virtual conferences, courses related to your professional development aligned with your department/college mission and goals. The process and timeline for applications is listed below.
As of Fall 2020, based on current budget projections, full and part-time faculty, can apply up to $500 per semester. This maximum amount is subject to change pending funds availability.
Here are the steps to apply for Professional Development funding for conferences, classes, workshops and other appropriate uses:
How do I request Professional Development Funds for approved activities?
Step # 1: Read the PDSelectionCriteria_Fall2020
Step # 2: Complete the Professional Development Funds Application Form Fall 2020
and required information –It’s newly revised to be completed fully online.
Step # 3: Complete Part/Tab 1 of the Travel Request Form 7400
of Peralta District, sign and date it and also discuss this with you your Dean or supervisor and obtain their approval/signature, as well. You must obtain a supervisor’s signature before the committee can review your request.
Step # 4: E-mail the completed Travel form (tab 1 only) to PD Committee Co-Chairs Diana Bajrami (firstname.lastname@example.org); Maurice Jones (email@example.com; and marivic Lizardo (Mlizardo@peralta.edu)
Step # 5 : For reimbursement, upon the completion of the event, you complete tab 2 of the Travel form and also a statement on how you plan to share the event/activity with colleagues, COA-FAS, and/or the Peralta District. Examples on how to share info: Write an evaluation/assessment report; facilitate a professional day workshop; facilitate a faculty engagement workshop; give a presentation to your department/discipline
Deadlines/Lead-Time for Applications for Professional Development Funds
Please see the file below for a more detailed timeline of what is required for your request to be approved:
All applications will be reviewed during the regular Professional Development Committee meetings, so for any application to be considered and to be approved you must apply by
October 2, 2020 for any activity that starts after this date
October 30, 2020 for any activity that starts after this date
November 27, 2020 for any activity that starts after this date
More deadlines for activities that take place during Spring 2021 will be posted soon.
- Awards for full-time and part-time faculty are limited to a maximum of $500 per person during Fall semester. All faculty are eligible. Classified professionals are encouraged to contact your Classified Senate President for information regarding possible funding.
- Funds are allocated for tuition (courses aligned with the mission/goals/discipline areas), conference registration fees
- These funds at this point are allocated for Fall semester activities and a decision about Spring will be made as soon as we have more information
- The PD committee will use the criteria below to assess your application and request
- the nature of the event being related to the PD Committee and College goals and the priority of ensuring a high quality of online teaching
- the nature of the event being shared with students, discipline, division, college
Funds will not be allocated for:
- Faculty on leave without pay
- Part-time faculty who are not currently teaching at College of Alameda during Fall 2020 semester
Upon the completion of these form, also please consider organizing a Professional Development Training
What is the process of facilitating a workshop?
Our Goal — Share of knowledge, effective practices
Once you complete your professional development activity, we encourage you to disseminate your knowledge. Present your growth during district and college flex days, share with your department or colleagues, write an article for the COA Splash, or submit to us and we will post your accomplishments on our webpage.
We are accepting application for October 20 Flex Day, as well as Spring Flex Day, and the committee
To be considered for October 20 Flex Day, please submit a proposal no later than October 2
Complete and submit to the Professional Development Committee the Professional Development Workshop Proposal Form