Diesel & Truck Mechanics Programs at College of Alameda
We provide students of all experience levels with comprehensive knowledge and skills covering Diesel Engines and Truck Mechanics and Chassis Systems. We currently offer an Associate Degree in Diesel Mechanics and Certificate of Achievement in Diesel Mechanics. Additionally, the department provides several fee and no-fee based seminars and classes in conjunction with industry partners and the California Air Resources Board.
Through lecture and hands-on lab courses, you will learn the skills required to troubleshoot and repair mechanical, electrical and electronic systems in diesel engines and trucks. You will learn to use computers to diagnose equipment and research information. You will be trained to operate shop machinery and equipment as well as select and use precision tools involved in the repair and maintenance of mechanical and electronic systems.
- Troubleshoot and perform repairs in mechanical, electrical, and electronic systems.
• Use computers to diagnose equipment and research information.
• Perform preventative truck maintenance
• Operate shop machinery and equipment and precision tools
- Maintain professional attitude in challenging working conditions.
Technical and Professional Skills Developed in the Program (Program Learning Outcomes)
- Identify and describe the function of components essential to hydraulic systems
- Diagnose and problem solve repairs with the use of computer resources and diagnostic tools used in industry
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills which achieve the maximum engineering benefits in devices specific to selecting brake and electrical components in heavy-duty vehicle and related equipment components
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot advanced electronic fuel systems using the PC laptop as the primary tool and assist in diagnosis with the Digital Multi-meter
Please refer the course catalog: https://alameda.peralta.edu/college-catalog/files/2015/08/Diesel-Mechanics.pdf
The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to disclose a variety of information for any financial aid eligible program that “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. The information provided in the link(s) below describes the graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information regarding gainful employment for the latest completed academic year (as of July 1). Full-time status is defined as a student that enrolls in 12 units for both the fall and the spring semesters of a given academic year.
The Diesel Mechanics program in heavy duty truck and diesel mechanics will prepare you to enter the job market as a beginning mechanic or apprentice in this field, and to continue your education toward the Baccalaureate degree in advanced schools of technology or as a teacher in this field of specialization, or to broaden your skills in various areas of management.
During attendance in Diesel Mechanic classes & Truck Mechanic classes, the student will receive a list of required basic tools. The student will be required to bring to class a personal tool set that includes tools that relate to the particular course in which he/she has enrolled. This requirement is to assure that students graduating from the program possess a basic tool set and the adequate skills to use the required tools in the trade.
Cummins Training Coordinator
Senior Recruiter (at Cummins facility in San Leandro)
Golden Gate Trucking Svc. Mgr.
Peterson Cat Training Manager
AC Transit (Training Manager?)
Ca. Labor Federation, Former Apprenticeship Coordinator Automotive Repair and Machinists Trades, Joint Apprenticeship Committees of Northern California
Apprenticeship Committee (AMTAC)
Training Manager (SSF/Burlingame) Sam Trans
Retired COA DMECH
Berkeley Unified School Dist. Fleet Mgr.
Coast Counties Peterbuilt
Crown Equipment Corporation
Golden Gate Transit District
Golden Gate Transit District
Director of Human Resources ABC Companies
Michael’s Transportation in Vallejo
Human Resources Generalist for Betts Company