The Chinese Department will teach you about the language, culture and history of the Chinese-speaking people, to promote better communication and understanding among the peoples of our diverse society. Our courses satisfy Foreign Language requirements at 4-year colleges and universities, provide marketable foreign language skills, and offer cultural enrichment.
Though our coursework, you will be empowered to:
- Communicate with native speakers at home and worldwide
- Increase your employment potential
- Improve your memory and cognitive skills
- Enhance travel worldwide
- Expand your universe
Learning languages can also expand the heart and mind and help us in our search to understand who we are as human beings.
- Grammatical Proficiency. Speak, write and comprehend Cantonese with accuracy as students advance through the course levels.
- Language Skill Application. Understand and communicate with native speakers in Cantonese with cultural fluency through the progressive skill levels and in conjunction with course content.
- Cultural Knowledge. Demonstrate cultural and historical understanding of the societies associated with Cantonese as students advance through the course levels.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) may be assessed using:
- Review of collected data
- Other methods
Courses should be taken in numerical/ letter order, beginning with CHIN 9A: Spoken and Written Cantonese.
Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world, and people who speak and write the language are in demand as teachers (both as Chinese teachers in the states, and English teachers in China), translators, travel agents, and in media and public relations.