Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1: How do I apply for my Veterans Educational Benefits?

Assistance is available in Welcome Center. Contact La Shawn Brumfield for questions or concerns, or you  question markmay apply on-line at the VA web site If you do so, please download a copy the application before you submit online.

2: What documentation do I need to provide to apply for my Veteran’s Educational Benefits?

Special note about transcripts: All of the above recipients who have completed courses at other post-secondary institutions MUST submit official transcripts from those schools. All Air Force veterans will need to also bring in an official copy of their transcript from the Community College of the Air Force.

3: How long does it take for an application to be processed by the VA? Once an application for educational benefits is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs the Processing Center usually takes two to eight weeks before the certificate of eligibility is sent to the student. The certificate of eligibility needs to be brought into the COA VA office as soon as it is received by the student.

4: Are ALL College of Alameda courses certifiable for educational benefits? No! Before a student can receive payment for the educational benefit, they must meet with the COA Veterans Counselor and establish an educational plan based on their educational goal (such as transfer to a university, associate degree or certificate program). Only courses required for these programs are certifiable for VA educational benefits. This process will be explained in detail during your counseling appointment.

5: How long does it take to get payment for educational benefits from the College of Alameda Veterans Affairs: Financial Aid TVDepartment of Veteran Affairs? After all of the admissions and application steps have been completed as mentioned above and you have requested certification, the VA can take up to three to six weeks to process a payment. (Depending on the time of year, processing time may vary).

More questions? You can find more answers on the College of Alameda Financial Aid TV site.