Spanish is the second most widely spoken language in the world. With the increasing number of U.S. citizens who speak Spanish as their primary language, graduates with the ability to write and speak the language have come into demand to fill positions as teachers and translators. It is also an invaluable skill in any career that demands you to work with a diversity of clients.
Certain courses will fulfill the university transfer requirement for foreign language coursework, and College of Alameda offers an AA degree in Spanish. See course information and degree requirements to the left for more details.
- To Communicate with Native Speakers Worldwide and at Home Spanish is spoken by an estimated 350 million people around the world. The U.S. has the fifth largest Spanish speaking population in the world.
- To Enhance Travel in Latin America and SpainSpeaking Spanish allows you to see, do, and enjoy the things that many other visitors cannot.
- To Increase Your Employment Potential Earn More Money! Studying Spanish could increase your potential income! With this valuable skill, you’re much more likely to land the job of your dreams.
- To Improve Your Memory and Cognitive Skills Challenge yourself with Spanish and stimulate parts of your untapped brain! Studies show that learning another language enhances memory and other cognitive skills.
- Learn Spanish Because It Will Expand Your Universe! It’s an opportunity to experience new music, great literature, amazing movies, and so much more.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) may be assessed using: