Library Services and Staff
Librarians are available to assist you in-person, via chat, e-mail and over the phone. In person, come to the Reference Desk to request assistance in using the library; searching the catalogs finding the information, including book, magazine articles, internet resources, that you need for your assignments. The library has a large collection of online resources and services that can be accessed on our Library Online Services webpage.
- Reference Desk, (510) 748-2398
Go to the Circulation Desk to check books in or out; checking on or clearing holds and blocks on your record;
and other circulation concerns.
- Circulation Supervisor, (510) 748-2251
- Circulation Desk, (510) 748-2120
In order to check out a book you must:
- Be currently enrolled in classes and have a student identification card with current semester sticker — this ID is also your library card.
- You can get your student id from the Welcome Center in Bldg. A — Having this card will also allow you to check out books from College of Alameda other Peralta Community College District Libraries.
- Circulating books can be checked out for three (3) weeks and can be renewed two times. A total of five (5) books, three in one subject area, may be checked out at one time.
- Magazines are library use only.
- Reference books and reserve books (including textbooks) are also library use only.
Reserves is part of the Circulation Desk. Go to Reserves for library use of required textbooks, pamphlets, and other materials that instructors have placed on Reserve. You will also need a current student id to use Reserve materials. Instructors are encouraged to prepare their materials and contact the Reserves Supervisor several weeks prior to the semester in which they plan to use the materials. Instructors are also encouraged to withdraw materials not currently in use.
- Reserves Supervisor, (510) 748-2122
Please contact any of the librarians, or leave a message at the Reference Desk for more information about library services and/or instruction. Faculty are encouraged to discuss library resources, services and instruction with a librarian, especially in relation to available resources for specific assignments and course development. We also recommend that faculty provide librarians with a copy of assignments that may require library research.
- Steve Gerstle, M.L.I.S. — Reference and Instruction Librarian, (510) 748-5217
- Jane McKenna, M.L.S. — Public Services Librarian and Head Librarian, (510) 748-2366
Ask at Periodicals to see a current list of magazines that the library owns. Also at this desk are slips that should be filled out in order to check out magazines and journals.
- Periodicals Supervisor, (510) 748-2252
Library Office and Acquisitions:
- Library Office, (510) 748-2365
Contact the Technical Services/Systems Librarian for any information on concerning the cataloging or processing of books.
- Technical Services/Systems Librarian, (510) 748-2253
College of Alameda Library does not currently have an Audio-Visual-Multimedia Collection. AV Reserve materials are available on a semester-by-semester basis.
- Audio Visual Department, (510) 748-2282
Other L-Building Services: Learning Resources & Open Labs