College of Alameda offers many Learning Community choices for students seeking to enrich their college experience while taking Basic Skills and Developmental English courses.
- Student Success Learning Communities pair themed English courses with community and skill-building counseling courses. These include:
- Accelerated American Institutions Learning Community pairs English courses with transfer level History and Political Science courses. For more information, go to the American Institutions Learning Community web page.
Q – What are Student Success Learning Communities?
- Students in COA’s Student Success Learning Communities take English courses with along with Counseling support courses.
- Classes are connected so that a group of students take both classes together.
- Each Student Support Learning Community has its own theme which creates a shared interest among all those who join.
- Students in the Student Support Learning Communities get to know each other well and support each other in their drive to succeed.
- Faculty, staff, peers and assigned mentors are all part of the team to assist students in achieving their academic goals.
There are four Student Success Learning Communities. Amandla, Adelente, and APASS have cultural themes, and the themes for CREATE the CLASS are decided by the students within the community.
- Amandla [Zulu for “power”] – African-American readings and learning strategies.
- Adelante [Spanish to motivate “onward” movement] – Latino readings and learning strategies.
- APASS [Asian/Pacific American Student Success]Asian-American readings and learning strategies.
- Create the Class – Students share responsibility for selecting the readings and themes the class will explore.
Q – What are the benefits of joining a Student Success Learning Community?
SUCCESS!!! Research has shown that students who participate in learning communities succeed in a higher rate than students taking stand-alone classes.
Students will receive the following:
- Registration and enrollment assistance.
- Academic, financial and personal counseling.
- Tutoring and academic support.
- Career exploration workshops.
- Field trips and/or cultural and civic enrichment activities.
Q – Who is eligible to participate in the Student Success Learning Communities?
- Students assessed for basic writing may take English 269 A/B– Basic Reading and Writing (6 units) with the paired Counseling course (3 units)
- Students assessed at the English 201A/B level (4 units) take the English course with the paired Counseling course (3 units).
- All students regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, country of origin, and/or disabilities may participate in any of our Student Success Learning Communities.
Q – How do I enroll in a Student Success Learning Community?
- To join one of the Learning Communities, students must first take the English assessment. Call 510-748-2307 for an assessment appointment.
- Decide which Learning Community you want to join. All Learning Communities welcome everyone!
NOTE: For all Learning Communities, English courses MUST be taken with the assigned Counseling courses
1. Logon to PASSPORT Student Center and click on “ADD A CLASS”
2. TYPE in registration code for English class ( i.e. 40314for Adelante)
3. Click on the “ENTER” button then click on “NEXT”
4. TYPE in registration code for the linked Counseling class (i.e. 40311for Adelante)
5. Click on the “ENTER” button then click on “NEXT”
6. Click on “PROCEED TO STEP 2 OF 3,” and then click on “FINISH ENROLLING”
Contact a Student Success Learning Communities Counselor for more information:
Contact your program’s counselor for information about additional courses.