Services Provided at COA
Health Services Offered at College of Alameda
- Health Screenings and Specialized Programs
- Confidential Health Counseling and Assistance with Health Problems
- Health Referral Information (Health Resources)
- Pregnancy Testing and Condoms
- First Aid and Emergency Care
Patricia Dudley, Health Services Coordinator
Students have the right to privacy and can expect that right will be respected in Health Services. No one other than Health Services personnel may have access to heath-related information about a student without his/her written consent.
We believe that good health is essential to student success. Health Services actively promotes self-care and wellness.
- We are committed to providing health education, selected health and prevention programs, and early illness prevention to better enable students to fulfill their personal and educational goals.
- Our programs are designed around a concept of wellness that integrates all the elements of a student’s life: physical, emotional, social, spiritual, intellectual and occupational.
- It is hoped that students will be empowered to make positive choices which contribute to academic success, academic retention and future contributions to the community.
YOUR HEALTH RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of your gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, class, physical ability, lifestyle or other human attribute.
- To know the names and professional status of the people serving you.
- To privacy: you can expect that discussions, examination and treatments will be conducted in a private environment.
- To confidentiality of your records: your permission must be obtained before we give any information to anyone not directly connected to your care. There are limited exceptions required by law, such as reporting certain communicable diseases.
- To be informed about services and any related costs.
- To be honest about your medical history and answer any questions fully.
- To ask about anything you do not understand.
- To follow advice and instructions.
- To arrive on time or cancel in advance any scheduled appointments.
- To be responsible for fees, if any.