Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program (BOGW)


Understand Important Changes to the BOG Fee Waiver for Fall 2017

Want more information about the BOG Fee Waiver?


You can get information from:

The Board of Governor’s Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW) was created to provide access for California residents to Community Colleges so that the cost of enrollment would not be a barrier.

BOGW is based on financial need and is not affected by academic progress. It assists with mandatory registration fees; it does not waive other fees, such as health fee, parking fee, mailing fees, student activities fees which must be paid by the student. The fee waiver is not a cash award.
For eligible California residents, this program waives the $46/unit enrollment fee. The BOGW is not a cash award and does not cover other educational expenses.

Under the Student Success Initiative regulations (SB 1456), California Community College students receiving the BOG Fee Waiver must meet both income and minimum academic and progress standards to remain eligible for the BOG Fee Waiver.

Academic Standard— Sustain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher Progress Standard– Complete more than 50% of your cumulative coursework If you do not meet BOG Academic/ Progress Standards for two for two consecutive primary terms (fall/ spring), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

Foster youth and former foster youth who are 24 and younger are exempt From BOG Academic/ Progress Standards.

Students may apply for a BOGW by completing either:

  • NEW! 2017-12018 Tuition Fee Waiver Application
  • 2017-2018 BOG Fee Waiver Application BOGW applications enable students to be considered for the BOGW Enrollment Fee Waiver only and not other forms of aid. By filing a FAFSA, students are considered for the BOGW as well as other forms of aid.

There are three very different methods by which you may receive a fee waiver:

  1. BOGW A (Method A) Qualified applicants (or their parents if they are dependent) must be currently receiving: (You must provide proof of benefits)
    1. TANF/CalWORKs (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families)
    2. SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
    3. General Assistance
    4. Have certification of a dependent’s fee waiver from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs.
  2. BOGW B (Method B) The student (or their parents, if dependent) must meet the maximum income guidelines below. Documentation of federal income must be provided. (You MAY be required to show proof of income).
Number in Household 2015 Maximum Income Standards
1 $17,820
2 $24,030
3 $30,240
4 $36,450
5 $42,660
6 $48,870
7 $55,095
8 $61,335
 Each additional family member $6,240
  1. BOGW C (Method C) If you do not qualify for a BOGW under Method A or Method B, you need to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for a BOGW. Many students who don’t meet the strict income criteria of Method B still become eligible for a BOGW by filing a FAFSA.

Once the college receives the FAFSA results, to determine BOG eligibility, the financial aid office subtracts the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from their cost of attendance. If what remains (‘financial need’) is $1104 or greater, the student is given a fee waiver. Waivers are posted onto the registration computer system automatically once results are received from the federal processor. The waiver will automatically appear on the system if you are eligible. When you register using the CLASS system you will not be assessed the $46/unit enrollment fees.

When is the Deadline to Apply for a Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW)?

The deadline to apply for a BOGW is the last day of the school year. This means that the Financial Aid Office must receive a valid BOGW application or Student Aid Report (SAR) by June 30th. 

Once you qualify for a BOGW, eligibility continues for the remainder of the terms within the school year. If you qualify for a BOGW by the deadline and have already paid registration fees, you may receive a full refund for the waived fees by completing an Application for Refund of Enrollment Fees form. Contact the Peralta Community Colleges District office for information.