Applying for EOPS
The EOPS/CARE program at College of Alameda will begin accepting applications for the Fall 2016 semester on August 1st.
Who is eligible to apply for EOPS?
To be an EOPS student you must:
- Be a California resident.
- Have fewer than 70 semester (105 quarter) units of degree applicable credit coursework. This includes units earned at other colleges.
- Qualify to receive a Board of Governors Grant (BOGG Fee Waiver).
- Have an educational disadvantage.
- Intend to enroll as a full time student with at least nine units at the College of Alameda.
- Enroll in College of Alameda’s SUCCESS Academy, our orientation program for new students by registering for Counseling 201. NOTE: This is a campus-wide requirement for all students who began college in Fall 2014 or after.
NOTE: Due to a limited amount of space in the EOPS/CARE program, priority will be given to the following:
Students who recently graduated from a local feeder high school.
Students with less than 30 degree applicable units.
What is considered an “educational disadvantage”?
A student may be considered educationally disadvantaged if the student meets one of the following criteria:
- Did not graduate from high school, pass the California High School Proficiency Examination, or obtain the General Education Diploma (GED)
- Graduated from high school with a GPA of 2.49 or below
- Does not qualify for the minimum level English or Mathematics course work required for an Associate degree
- Was previously enrolled in remedial education courses
- Is the first in his/her family to attend college
- Is a foreign born resident with language difficulty
- Is a foster youth, former foster youth, or ward of the court
- Meets other criteria considered relevant by the Program Director
How do I apply for EOPS?
To apply for EOPS, you must come to the EOPS office in A101 to complete an EOPS application.
When are Fall 2015 EOPS applications available?
EOPS applications will be available August 3rd and will close when we have reached the maximum number of students we can accept. Applications will be processed only after students provide all the necessary information. Because of the high demand, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
What do I need to do before my EOPS application can be processed?
Before we can review your application, you MUST:
- Be enrolled in 12 or more units, with at least 9 units at the College of Alameda. (Some DSPS students may qualify for EOPS with fewer than 12 units. See an EOPS counselor for information.)
- Complete the 2015/2016 FAFSA.
- Complete assessment.
- Bring in unofficial transcripts of any previous post-secondary enrollment.
If you have handed in an application before you have finished with any of these steps, you must let our office know when you have completed them all. We can only review completed applications.
How will I know if my EOPS application has been accepted?
You will receive an email from Paula Armstead, EOPS Project Manager, to let you know if your application has been accepted. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU HAVE PROVIDED EOPS WITH A WORKING EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU CHECK OFTEN!
For more information, visit or contact the EOPS office:
EOPS/CARE is located in room A101. Call (510) 748-2258 for further information.
The Mission of College of Alameda is to serve the educational needs of its diverse community by providing comprehensive and flexible programs and resources that empower students to achieve their goals.