Welcome to the College of Alameda’s Academic Senate!
The Academic Senate makes recommendations to the college and/or district administration with respect to academic and professional matters as it deems appropriate. Listed below are the “10+1″ topic areas within the Senate’s purview:
The 10 + 1
1. Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
2. Degree and certificate requirements.
3. Grading policies.
4. Educational program development.
5. Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
6. College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
7. Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
8. Policies for faculty professional development activities.
9. Processes for program review.
10. Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
11. Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
Senators are elected to represent faculty from Division 1 (including Librarians), Division 2, or Student Services. Both contract and adjunct faculty serve on the Academic Senate. Please see the Membership link (left navigation bar) for a list of current Senators.
Academic Senate meets on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays from 12:30 -2:00pm in L237. Meetings are open and all are welcome to attend. Please see Agenda and Minutes link (left navigation bar) for a list of upcoming meeting dates as well as previous agendas and minutes.
Goals for 2013-2014
Ø Review the Accreditation process and participate in COA’s Self-Evaluation
Ø Identify how faculty can support Student Success and the tools/resources they need to do it.
Ø Support Part-time faculty
Ø Promote faculty involvement and knowledge of the Academic Senate.